- The Memphis Symphony Orchestra signs Robert Moody to six-year contract as Music Director.
Karina Canellakis, Jeremy Denk
- Pianist Jeremy Denk takes Milwaukee Symphony audience on a rare journey
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
- Recording of Robert Spano Compositions Releasing 4/28
- Grand Rapids Symphony's Marcelo Lehninger leads orchestra in picturesque adventure into the future
St. Petersburg Philharmonic
- St. Petersburg Philharmonic rocked Shostakovich
- Moody leads Symphony in rousing film composers concert
Katia and Marielle Labeque
- Labèque Sisters are electric in Mozart, Philip Glass
- REVIEW: Grand Rapids Symphony brings visuals to music with ‘Pictures at an Exhibition’
- Review: Violinist Beilman debuts with ASO; Spano leads on Adams’ energetic “Harmonielehre”
- Pianist Seong-Jin Cho is ardently expressive in 1st SF recital
San Francisco Chronicle
American conductor Joshua Weilerstein is appointed the new Artistic Director of the Orchestre de Chambre de Lausanne.
American conductor Joshua Weilerstein is appointed the new Artistic Director of the Orchestre de Chambre de Lausanne. The announcement was made today in Lausanne by OCL President Alexandre Curchod. Weilerstein's initial four-year tenure will begin in the 2015/16 season. He will conduct the orchestra in subscription concerts, recording, international touring, and in education and outreach projects.
Weilerstein commented on the appointment:
"I am so thrilled and honored to become the new Artistic Director of this wonderful orchestra. Ever since I first worked with the OCL in June of 2014, I was struck by the incredibly high quality of their playing and by their generosity and kindness of spirit.
"I am looking forward to working with the orchestra on a large variety of repertoire, from the Baroque to the classic German repertoire all the way up to and including 21st century music. I also look forward to taking the orchestra on tour and recording with the orchestra, but I’m perhaps most excited to broaden the OCL’s impact in the city of Lausanne. An orchestra should always be a thriving part of the cultural pulse of any city, and I will work hard to deepen the connection between the OCL and Lausanne by investing in outreach and education programs which are essential to ensuring future audiences for great music."
Benoît Braescu, Executive Director of the OCL, said:
“I am delighted with Joshua’s appointment as Artistic Director of the OCL. It was a natural choice for us; he struck an immediate rapport with the orchestra and is not only a great musician, but also a generous and warm human being."
Joshua Weilerstein is prominent among the fast-rising new generation of conductors. This season, he makes an ambitious number of debuts and return engagements. Debuts include the Mahler Chamber Orchestra, DSO-Berlin, Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio France, Dallas Symphony, Detroit Symphony, Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra, National Arts Centre Orchestra, and NHK Symphony. He returns to the BBC Symphony Orchestra (marking his Barbican debut), Danish National Symphony Orchestra, Oslo Philharmonic, Orchestre Philharmonique de Luxembourg (for a seven-city tour of Germany), Orchestre National du Capitôle de Toulouse, Vancouver Symphony, and the Florida Orchestra, among many others.
In the 2013/14 season Joshua Weilerstein completed his three-year appointment as the Assistant Conductor of the New York Philharmonic. He was award both first prize and the audience prize at the Malko Competition for Young Conductors in Copenhagen in 2009.