- The Memphis Symphony Orchestra signs Robert Moody to six-year contract as Music Director.
Karina Canellakis, Jeremy Denk
- Pianist Jeremy Denk takes Milwaukee Symphony audience on a rare journey
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
- Recording of Robert Spano Compositions Releasing 4/28
- Grand Rapids Symphony's Marcelo Lehninger leads orchestra in picturesque adventure into the future
St. Petersburg Philharmonic
- St. Petersburg Philharmonic rocked Shostakovich
- Moody leads Symphony in rousing film composers concert
Katia and Marielle Labeque
- Labèque Sisters are electric in Mozart, Philip Glass
- REVIEW: Grand Rapids Symphony brings visuals to music with ‘Pictures at an Exhibition’
- Review: Violinist Beilman debuts with ASO; Spano leads on Adams’ energetic “Harmonielehre”
- Pianist Seong-Jin Cho is ardently expressive in 1st SF recital
San Francisco Chronicle
Rhapsodic Musings: Works for solo violin by Salonen, Carter, Thomas & Zorn
BBC Music Magazine
By Neil Smith
Unaccompanied recitals provide their own particular challenges for performer and listener alike: a limited sound-world can mean the music loses its ability to surprise. In this instance, however, Jennifer Koh rises to the challenge with careful programming and, above all, fiercely committed performances.
Few violinists can make Carter sound so effortless, leading the ear through the complex invention of his Four Lands, the third of which gives this disc its title. Rhapsodic elements are also key to Salonen’s lonely Lachen Verlernt, an impressive span of increasing intensity that, in tender moments, echoes Sibelius. Tal Rosner’s video accompaniment, also available on the CD, comprises a surprisingly literal play of lines, colour – latterly – light.
The final work, Zorn’s Goetia, is the most extreme exploration of the violin’s abilities. Each short movement presents a different character – quite an achievement when they use the same 227 pitches as a repeated ‘incarnation’ (the title relates to a system of black magic). It is a fantastic conclusion to an authoritative disc.