- Album Review: Trifonov Live
International Piano Magazine
- Glowing opener to May Festival season
- James Conlon Launches Three-Year Cycle of Mozart's Da Ponte Operas at The Festival Dei Due Mondi in Spoleto, Italy
- ACO: Slimmed-down ensemble offers lean, crystalline sound
- US wunderkind violinist Stefan Jackiw and the ACO bring the house down
The Daily Telegraph
Sebastian Lang-Lessing, Jennifer Koh
- Luxurious goulash; San Antonio Symphony, Sebastian Lang-Lessing, Jennifer Koh
- Cristina Pato on 'Latina,' Yo-Yo Ma & Saving Classical Music
- Bryan Hymel: "Héroïque"
- Béla Fleck's "How to Write A Banjo Concerto" Out Now
- Cristina Pato: "Latina"
World Music Report
Sarasate-Virtuoso Violin Works-New CD from Gil Shaham & Adele Anthony
Adele Anthony, Gil Shaham
21C Media Group
Sarasate – Virtuoso Violin Works, a New CD from Violinists Gil Shaham and Adele Anthony,
Is Available Today on Shaham’s Own Canary Classics Label
Violinists Adele Anthony and Gil Shaham unveil their shared passion for the music of Spanish composer and violinist Pablo de Sarasate (1844-1908) with a new recording, available today, on Shaham’s own Canary Classics label. Adele, who makes her debut on the label with this recording, and Gil recorded Sarasate: Virtuoso Violin Works after a number of “centenary celebration” performances dedicated to Sarasate’s music, including a November concert at New York’s Lincoln Center, broadcast live on public television, and in “¡Sarasateada!”, a series of Sarasate concerts in Valladolid, Spain. The new recording showcases the enormous appeal of Sarasate’s dance- and song-inspired works, as well as the music’s sometimes hair-raising technical challenges.
Gil and Adele launched their new Sarasate album on September 29 with a 7:00pm event at New York’s new downtown music hotspot, [Le] Poisson Rouge, where they were joined by special guest artists The Knights.
A new companion video, Gil Shaham in “Run Gil Run”, was shown publicly for the first time at the evening’s event and can be viewed here.
The Zapateado is a Spanish dance, which inspired a short work by Sarasate that is the eighth track on the new album (a full track list follows below), as well as being the music bed for the video. Watch closely for special guest appearances by renowned (and less well-known) luminaries from the classical music world.
Sarasate – Virtuoso Violin Works
¡Sarasateada! Valladolid 2008
Gil Shaham, violin; Adele Anthony, violin; Akira Eguchi, piano
Orquesta Sinfónica de Castilla y León*/Alejandro Posada, conductor
Canary Classics: CC07
1-5. “Carmen” Fantasy, Op. 25* (Gil Shaham)
6. Song of the Nightingale, Op. 29 (Adele Anthony)
7. Habanera, Op. 26, No. 2 (Gil Shaham)
8. Zapateado, Op. 23, No. 2 (Gil Shaham)
9. Zortzico “Adiós Montañas Mías”, Op. 39* orch. Leo Blech (Gil Shaham)
10. Zigeunerweisen (Gypsy Airs), Op. 20* (Gil Shaham)
11. Airs écossais (Scottish Airs), Op. 34 (Adele Anthony)
12. Romanza Andaluza, Op. 22, No. 1 (Gil Shaham)
13. Capricho Vasco (Basque Caprice), Op. 24 (Gil Shaham)
14. Gavota de “Mignon”, Op. 16 (Gil Shaham)
15. Introduction and Tarantella, Op. 43 (Adele Anthony)
16. Navarra for two violins, Op. 33* (Gil Shaham, Adele Anthony)