The Manhattan Transfer
- OPUS 3 ARTISTS WELCOMES THE MANHATTAN TRANSFER FOR SYMPHONY BOOKING
- BPO's tribute to Finland is a sparkling triumph
The Buffalo News
- Simone Porter Triumphs as Gustavo Dudamel and the Los Angeles Philharmonic Open Immortal Beethoven Festival at Walt Disney Concert Hall
- LA Phil digs into early Beethoven, explores what is immortal
Los Angeles Times
- Review: Orchestra's "Mass" brings energy
- Memphis Symphony Orchestra Names Robert Moody Principal Conductor
Memphis Symphony Orchestra
- A SUPERB ROLE DEBUT FOR PATRICIA RACETTE IN LADY MACBETH OF MTSENSK AT THE ENO
- Britten Sinfonia and Jeremy Denk, Cambridge: 'exhilarating'
- Strung Out
- NJSO concert review: A season opener for cool cats
Sarasate-Virtuoso Violin Works-New CD from Gil Shaham & Adele Anthony
Adele Anthony, Gil Shaham
21C Media Group
Sarasate – Virtuoso Violin Works, a New CD from Violinists Gil Shaham and Adele Anthony,
Is Available Today on Shaham’s Own Canary Classics Label
Violinists Adele Anthony and Gil Shaham unveil their shared passion for the music of Spanish composer and violinist Pablo de Sarasate (1844-1908) with a new recording, available today, on Shaham’s own Canary Classics label. Adele, who makes her debut on the label with this recording, and Gil recorded Sarasate: Virtuoso Violin Works after a number of “centenary celebration” performances dedicated to Sarasate’s music, including a November concert at New York’s Lincoln Center, broadcast live on public television, and in “¡Sarasateada!”, a series of Sarasate concerts in Valladolid, Spain. The new recording showcases the enormous appeal of Sarasate’s dance- and song-inspired works, as well as the music’s sometimes hair-raising technical challenges.
Gil and Adele launched their new Sarasate album on September 29 with a 7:00pm event at New York’s new downtown music hotspot, [Le] Poisson Rouge, where they were joined by special guest artists The Knights.
A new companion video, Gil Shaham in “Run Gil Run”, was shown publicly for the first time at the evening’s event and can be viewed here.
The Zapateado is a Spanish dance, which inspired a short work by Sarasate that is the eighth track on the new album (a full track list follows below), as well as being the music bed for the video. Watch closely for special guest appearances by renowned (and less well-known) luminaries from the classical music world.
Sarasate – Virtuoso Violin Works
¡Sarasateada! Valladolid 2008
Gil Shaham, violin; Adele Anthony, violin; Akira Eguchi, piano
Orquesta Sinfónica de Castilla y León*/Alejandro Posada, conductor
Canary Classics: CC07
1-5. “Carmen” Fantasy, Op. 25* (Gil Shaham)
6. Song of the Nightingale, Op. 29 (Adele Anthony)
7. Habanera, Op. 26, No. 2 (Gil Shaham)
8. Zapateado, Op. 23, No. 2 (Gil Shaham)
9. Zortzico “Adiós Montañas Mías”, Op. 39* orch. Leo Blech (Gil Shaham)
10. Zigeunerweisen (Gypsy Airs), Op. 20* (Gil Shaham)
11. Airs écossais (Scottish Airs), Op. 34 (Adele Anthony)
12. Romanza Andaluza, Op. 22, No. 1 (Gil Shaham)
13. Capricho Vasco (Basque Caprice), Op. 24 (Gil Shaham)
14. Gavota de “Mignon”, Op. 16 (Gil Shaham)
15. Introduction and Tarantella, Op. 43 (Adele Anthony)
16. Navarra for two violins, Op. 33* (Gil Shaham, Adele Anthony)